For some time now the Partners at Blackfriars Medical Practice have been in negotiation with Drs Misra and Sharma at nearby Borough Medical Centre around a potential merger. Mergers between practices are becoming more commonplace now in Primary Care. This is to ensure that practices remain viable businesses in the long term. A merger will also assist with planning for succession of Drs Misra and Sharma in the future.
Aside from the fact that the two premises are very close geographically (0.8 mile), Blackfriars Medical Practice and Borough Medical Centre have a long history of working together and indeed have intermittently shared services and staff over the last 20 years. A merger between the surgeries would be beneficial to patients and staff alike. In order for this to proceed a business case will be presented to Southwark CCG’s next Primary Care Commissioning Committee in May. The practices will also be liaising with Southwark Healthwatch, as the experts on patient engagement to ensure that patient views are taken into account.
The current plan is to run the Borough Medical Centre as a branch of Blackfriars Medical Practice.
We have sought the views of each surgery's Patient Participation Group (PPG) and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Borough Medical Centre
Located at 1-5 Newington Causeway, London, SE1 6ED – just by the Southwark Police Station
Two separate surgeries in the Centre – Drs Misra & Sharma
0.8 miles from Blackfriars Medical Practice
Purpose-built surgery in 1990’s.
2 Doctors, Part-time Nurses
Combined List size: 5,000 patients
Benefits of Merger
- Provide continuity of care for patients of Borough Medical Centre as Drs Misra and Sharma would be joining Blackfriars
- Increase / improve access to appointments; especially nursing appointments
- Access to a wider range of services such as Osteopathy, Specialist contraceptive services, Health Care Assistant, Advanced Nurse Practitioner
- Access to female doctors for patients of Borough Medical Centre
- Long term sustainability for all three practices
- Provide continuity for staff of Borough Medical Centre
- Access to appointments at both sites
- Online via website
- Forms available at reception / pharmacy
- Text Message
Potential Practice Merger